Shaqra, Historic Sudirah Mosque, which is believed to be one of the oldest mosques in the region as it dates back to 1356 AH, is located in Shaqra, 190 km northwest of Riyadh, and has undergone a complete renovation as part of Prince Mohammed bin Salman Project for Historical Mosques Renovation in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, under which 30 mosques in 10 regions will be restored and rehabilitated.
The mosque has an important heritage value and it is situated in the old Bab Al-Atfiya district, next to the Hamad bin Saleh bin Abbas school, which was named after the Mosque’s muezzin. Besides being a place for prayer and worship, the mosque was a cultural and scholarly beacon for village citizens and the surrounding areas, in which they learned writing, as well as the teaching of the Holy Quran.
The mosque was built of mud and stone and has a roof built of wooden beams, Tamarix trunks, and palm fronds, and its total area is about 500 square meters, and it used to accommodate around 160 worshipers.
The mosque consisted of a prayer house, Al-Sarha, a retreat, restrooms, and a square-shaped minaret located to the south of the mosque with a height of about 10.46 m. The mosque has two entrances, one in the east and the other in the west.
After the rehabilitation process, the historic mosque currently includes a prayer house, Al-Sarha, a prayer room for women, restrooms and ablution places for men and women, and can accommodate up to 347 people.
Source: Saudi Press Agency